Beginning in July, Cooking Channel will be rocking a brand-new Spice Girl. Her name is Bal Arneson and she is our Spice Goddess…
Ever feel daunted when trying to craft with the perfect blend of spices for your dish? Wouldn’t it be cool to have a spice sherpa who has been there and can demystify the entire process? Beginning Saturday, July 10th, Bal Arneson will share how you can make dishes that are deeply flavorful and nuanced, using aromatic spices and seasonings.
7 Things To Know About Bal Arneson, the Spice Goddess:Bal and mango friend
- She grew up in a small village outside Punjab, India.
2) Bal first learned to cook, over coals in a clay BBQ pit, when she was 7.
3) Philosophy: No one should spend more than 25 minutes in the kitchen to make healthy wonderful Indian meals.
4) First Hollywood crush: Captain Kirk (William Shatner) when she was 15.Captain James T. Kirk, contemplative…
- Outside the kitchen, Bal likes hiking, camping and rock climbing with her family.
- ; donating a portion of the proceeds to her village to fund educational programs for women and children.
- She shares bonus recipes
- like this
Tasty Chickpea and Asparagus side
1 Tbsp garlic – finely chopped
1 Tbsp ginger – finely chopped
1 Tbsp coriander seeds – crush with your hands
1 Tbsp cumin powder
…1/4 tsp red chili pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup water
One 14 oz can of chickpeas-drain and rinse with cold water
Fresh mint leaves to garnish
In a skillet, add oil and heat on medium to high heat for few seconds until oil is hot.
Add garlic, ginger, coriander seeds, cumin powder, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook on medium to high heat for 15 seconds.
Add tomatoes and water and cook for 3 minutes. Stir regularly.
Add chickpeas and cook for 1 minute.
Serve on steamed asparagus. Enjoy!!