We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
The crisp, sweet, sometimes-earthy, sometimes-citrus-y flavor of pears is naturally enhanced by the flavors of honey, wine and cheese. Raw pears are great sliced on a cheese plate alongside some brie, Stilton, sharp cheddar, or Gorgonzola — a drizzle of honey is optional, or a nice side offering. Choose your wine based on your pear preference: Anjou pears work well with Sauvignon Blanc, Barlett with Brut Champagne and Bosc with Cabernet Sauvignon. But pear season is short so you should make the most of it, and consider not just a cheese plate, but pear recipes that take advantage of perfect partners like wine, honey and cheese, as well. Say, for example, Laura Calder’s Slow-Baked Honey Wine Pears, pictured above and featured on Laura’s show, French Food at Home. Need more inspiration? Here you go:
Tyler Florence’s Roasted Baby Pears With Herbed Goat Cheese (with honey and bacon!):
Lara, over at feedyourkids.com pairs pears and Gorgonzola on a pre-made pizza shell for an easy weeknight family meal (maybe skip the wine with this one for a very family-friendly meal).
Kate in the Kitchen’s super-simple Crostini With Camebert and Glazed Pears make a quick fall appetizer or light lunch:
Or go with a full-on sandwich, like Giada’s Taleggio and Pear Panini:
What’s your favorite pear-ing?
More Pear Recipe Ideas From Our Friends and Family:
- Roberto at Food2: 5 Ways to Warm Up to Pears
- Liz at Healthy Eats: Vanilla Poached Pears, With Variations
- Food Network UK: Pear Necessities
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Three Favorite Pear Recipes
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Pear, Pecan, Parmesan Scones
- Paige at The Sister Project: A Gingery Pear Crisp
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Sour Cream Pear Cake
- Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Making Pear Galette
- Gilded Fork: Harvest Risotto with Caramelized Pears
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Of Pears and Cookbooks, a Delicious Giveaway