Is there anything better than the smell of homemade baked bread? And muffins have a particularly perfect time-to-wake-up scent. With Kelsey’s basic quick bread recipe, you’ll never turn to a bagged mix again.
Kelsey provides the blueprint for whatever you’re in the mood for: opt for pumpkin bread or go for almond poppy seed muffins. Or try something new with her cranberry nut orange batter. She includes the variations for flavors and the different cook times for muffins vs. loafs. Rather than let a few straggler bananas go bad, I turned them into her recipe for Banana Nut Muffins.
Kelsey’s Banana Nut Muffins
from her Basic Quick Bread Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups mashed bananas combined with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a 12-well muffin tin with paper liners or grease a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and melted butter. Add in mashed bananas.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternating with the sour cream and mix just to combine. Avoid over-mixing the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin or loaf pan that have been greased or lined.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.