Rhubarb and pie have long been good friends, and sweet strawberries often join the party. Emeril’s take on this classic combination adds an almond crumb topping, so it becomes something of a pie-crumble hybrid. Beyond tempting pies, crumbles and crisps, rhubarb is actually very versatile. To take advantage of the pink, sweet-tart stalks while they’re at their peak (April through September), we rounded up some of our favorite blogger recipes, both sweet and savory.
On the savory side, this recipe for Cornmeal-Crusted Fish Tacos With Rhubarb Salsa from Kitchen Konfidence is super-seasonal — it celebrates rhubarb as well as Cinco de Mayo! If you’re not feeling fish, the fresh rhubarb salsa — mixed with spring onion, spicy jalapeño, cider vinegar and smoky chipotle powder — would be tasty with any protein.
Baker and blogger extraordinaire David Lebovitz knows that simplicity is key when you have great ingredients. When he finds gorgeous stalks of rhubarb in the farmers’ market, he makes Red Wine-Poached Rhubarb and serves it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More Rhubarb Recipes From Cooking Channel Chefs:
- Laura Calder’s Rhubarb Parfait and Rhubarb Water
- Jamie Oliver’s Speedy Rhubarb Fool
- Gale Gand’s Strawberry Rhubarb Slump
- The Two Fat Ladies’ Rhubarb Barm Brack
Rhubarb Love From Friends and Family:
- Sarah at the FN Dish: Spring Fling: Rhubarb
- Jessica at Food2: The Savory Side of Rhubarb
- Liz at Healthy Eats: Rhubarb Chutney
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Strawberry-Rhubarb Fool
- Diane and Todd at White On Rice Couple: Rhubarb Crumb Bars
- Gaby at What’s Gaby Cooking: Rhubarb Margarita
- Margaret at A Way To Garden: Making Sweet Order of Rhubarb