When autumn arrives, the farmers’ markets are brimming with apples of every variety. The excitement we get when we discover wonderful new apple varieties is like being kids in Candy Land.
With a plethora of fresh apples to eat, we’re still continually creating new recipes to enjoy them when they’re cooked. When apples are cooked to a soft texture, a little sprinkle of cinnamon transforms them into the perfect simple dessert.
Apple fries are another fun way to enjoy apples when you have an abundance. Quickly fried apples sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar are like fruit candy. The soft texture of the sweet apple and cinnamon fragrance make for a simple way to enjoy apples as a dessert.
These “alternative fries” are our answer to a quick, delicately sweet dish when we’re craving a fruit dessert. The thought of adding a scoop of ice cream on top of the warm apple fries is deliciously exciting. That’s next on our apple fry agenda!
Apples Fries With Cinnamon
• At least 2 firm apples
• Vegetable oil for frying
• 1 cup of flour
• Ground cinnamon
• Powdered sugar
1. Heat oil in medium sauté pan until you have enough oil to immerse apple slices.
2. Wash, core and slice apples into ¼”-thick slices.
3. Add flour to medium bowl. Lightly dredge each apple slice in flour, coating completely.
4. Heat oil in a medium saucepot to 375 degrees F. Gently place apple slices in hot oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove apple slices from hot oil. Place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
5. Sprinkle warm fried apple slices with ground cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Serves about 2
More Favorite Fall Desserts on Cooking Channel
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie
- Pear-Cranberry Crostata
- Maple Pecan Pie
- Dutch Apple Cake
- Maple Pear Upside Down Cake
- Spiced Pumpkin Crumb Cake
- Pear Crumble
Todd Porter and Diane Cu are professional food and travel photographers who publish the popular food blog White on Rice. Their lives have always been about love, family, friends, sharing, exploring and food.