The simplicity of a fresh salad is one of the hallmarks of all our meals. Regardless of what is on the menu, a simple seasonal salad is our favorite way to start the feast. Fresh, crisp lettuce, a bright addition of fruit and tangy vinaigrette is the perfect starter to please the palate.Our Southern California weather is so kind to us, allowing our garden to explode with edibles year round. With fresh pomegranates still clinging to their branches and our first batch of Meyer lemons ripening on the tree, we’re rushing to make this salad before they disappear. Fresh lettuce is abundant in the garden too, so, yes, we’re spoiled.
We’re fortunate to have such a fantastic citrus growing region too, allowing us to relish in many citrus varieties, especially the Meyer lemon. The bright, floral beauty of the Meyer lemon lends perfectly to a vinaigrette. Just a simple squeeze of the yellow fruit and you’ll have a terrific perfumed and appetizing dressing for even the simplest of salads.
The wonderful thing about this salad is that it truly is simple, with three-star ingredients that make it perfectly complete. Lettuce, the tart bite of pomegranate seeds and a bright Meyer lemon vinaigrette and you’ve stimulated the appetite and can appreciate three stellar flavors combined in one bite.
Pomegranate Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
For the Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette:
• 4 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice (approximately 1 large Meyer lemon)
• 4 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
For the Salad:
• Fresh lettuce, torn
• 1 medium pomegranate, shucked
1. Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together well.
2. Toss lettuce, pomegranate seeds and vinaigrette together before serving.
Todd Porter and Diane Cu are professional food and travel photographers who publish the popular food blog White on Rice. Their lives have always been about love, family, friends, sharing, exploring and food.
More Fresh Winter Salads for Your Holiday Meal:
- Arugula and Roasted Fruit Salad with Panettone Croutons
- Beef Carpaccio Salad with Pomegranate
- Butter Lettuce, Mache and Pomegranate Seeds with Champagne Vinaigrette
- Roasted Baby Pears with Herbed Goat Cheese
- Endive and Grape Salad with Pear Vinaigrette
- Roquefort Salad with Warm Croutons and Lardons