It’s more than just alliteration; it’s a statement, a proclamation that Thursdays are when the weekend should really start. Kicking it off right is the key, and what better way than with a cocktail that not only takes the edge off, but tastes good too. A hard thing to disagree with, we know. Drink up, get down and go to sleep happy.
The essential component to any summer cocktail party isn’t the right balance between tequila and salt, but the musical ingredients that create the perfect soundtrack. We enlisted expert musical programmer Andrew Wintner of The Beat Advisory, who curates musical experiences for dozens of restaurants, bars and hotels across the country, to round up a an eclectic collection of tunes that will make your soiree a memorable one. Here’s a taste:
1. “Boa Sorte” – Ben Harper joins Brazilian star Vanessa da Mata on this swimmingly beautiful track which means “Good Luck” in Portuguese. It’s a great vibe to kick off the evening as your guests are coming and grabbing their first drink.
2. “Psycho Killer” – Bruce Lash’s stripped down cover of this Talking Heads classic is getting a second life with its inclusion in the new Oliver Stone film “Savages.” Its simple beachy vibe will definitely put you in the mood while you sip on that fanciful rum concoction.
3. “Harvest Moon” – LA-based DJs Filip Kinolic and Jeffery Paradise blissed-out take on this Neil Young track is a great blend to end a sun-soaked day.
4. “World Upside Down” – No cocktail party is complete without some great Jamaican beats and this track from the biggest name in reggae (whose surname isn’t Marley) has the perfect party beat.
5. “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – This amazing blend of Afro-Cuban rhythm with one of the most well-known tracks in the last 25 years makes for a thoroughly vibrant beat.
6. “Losing Keys, Katalyst Remix” – Nothing says summer more than Jack Johnson and this fun remix. Its pulsating horn section makes you want to stick your feet in the sand and groove along.
7. “Tropicalia (Mario C 2001 Remix)” – One of the most distinct voices in world music joins the musical genius of Beck on a remake of his 1998 classic with some flavorful beats added by Brazilian producer Mario C.
8. “Say So” – The music industry is all abuzz over new soul singer Allen Stone and his track “So So.” It’s the ultimate summer soul steamer.
9. “Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I’m Yours” – No party should ever do without Stevie Wonder. Period.
10. “All Night Long” – We all love Lionel Richie whether we admit it publicly or not. Now with his recent monster hit of re-imagined classics, Lionel is back in the limelight. When you blast this classic (a collaboration with the king of summer party Jimmy Buffet), everyone in the room will be on their feet, singing along to the chorus as your party goes “all night long.”
Of course you’ll need some top-notch seasonal cockail recipes, too. Here are 50.
You can learn more about Andrew and The Beat Advisory at www.facebook.com/thebeatadvisory