The holiday season is finally upon us, and that means one thing. The folks at Oreo have done it again and concocted a new seasonal variety to delight us: Limited edition Gingerbread Oreos are now on the shelves at your local grocery. We snagged a bag and put them to the seasonal taste test.
How do these Gingerbread Oreos stack up?
These Oreos are sweet. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: If you can’t take the gingerbread sweetness, get out of the holiday cookie jar.
- It is actually only the creme in these holiday Oreos that have “gingerbread” flavor.
- Our tasters detected notes of ginger, cinnamon, and even pungent cloves mixed in to cafe au lait colored creme. The creme sampled on its own feels somehow incomplete, and indeed, too sugary for this taster. But judging the components independently would be an unfair cookie assessment.
- Encased between two buttery vanilla-flavored Oreo cookies, the gingerbread creme sings a holiday song. What was missing from the creme alone — that buttery richness — is supplied by the cookies. Plus, the addition of the smooth vanilla flavor is a welcome counterpoint to the sharpness of the spiced cream.
- You know how gingerbread covered in vanilla cream cheese frosting just seems like the perfect combination? I rest my case. Here, the cookies play the role of the cream cheese frosting, a vital but ultimately supporting role to the starring gingerbread creme.
More Oreo to DEVOUR:
- Cookies and Cream Oreo Brownies
- Birthday Cake Oreos: Oreo Turns 100!
- Cheesecake Factory Oreo Cheesecake
- Candy Corn Halloween Oreos