The healthiest breakfasts are ones you make yourself with an eye toward fiber, lean protein and healthy fats. This combination keeps you running all morning long. You can get fiber through heart-healthy whole grains and/or fruits or vegetables. Low-fat dairy, eggs and nuts are good sources of protein. For healthy fats, think about avocado, egg yolk, olive oil or nuts. Here are some quick and healthy breakfast ideas that will power you through the day.
- 100 percent whole-grain toast with peanut butter and sliced banana or almond butter and pear
- Ricotta with sliced almonds and fresh berries
- High-fiber cereal topped with plain yogurt, milk, fruit and a few almonds
- Breakfast taco: scrambled egg on a corn tortilla with 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon salsa and 1-2 tablespoons diced avocado. If you’re cooking for a crowd, try these Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas. (pictured)
- Pomegranate Smoothie: This healthy smoothie comes together in five minutes. Try different fruit and juice combinations for variety.
- Avocado toast: Mash one-quarter of an avocado onto multigrain toast and sprinkle with sea salt. For a protein boost, pair with a soft-boiled or poached egg.
- Breakfast sandwich: whole-wheat English muffin topped with a fried or scrambled egg, a slice of Swiss cheese and a handful of arugula.
- Healthy French Toast: It tastes decadent, but this healthy French toast is made with whole-wheat bread and low-fat milk.
For more Healthy Breakfast Recipes, check out these recipes.