On Log On & Eat with Eden Grinshpan, Eden travels the country to meet the most outrageous and original food bloggers and social media stars who invite her to devour their favorite dishes. We connected with them to pick their brains and score some exclusive advice and tips.
First of all, I recommend to all my friends that they find a farmers market in their neighborhood, because the beauty of healthy cooking is that when you eat locally, seasonally and sustainably, you are making healthy choices. Our bodies understand the seasons and also understand the foods that are ingested in season. In the summertime, lighter foods are available and it is what the body wants in hot weather. If you are curious about eating more raw food, summer is the time to try it out, as that is the season when your body will best benefit from it. Fresh watermelons, berries, peaches and greens of all kinds can be grilled and eaten outside as often as possible. In the fall we eat more root vegetables and asparagus; making soups, braising, roasting and sauteing is what you do with the produce that is grown in the fall. Bobby and I sear and saute with organic coconut oil because it is an oil that can take high heat, and we use olive oil for dressings, marinades and pestos. Below are five ingredients we recommend you have in your kitchen:
1. Coconut oil is great for sautéing, searing and baking.
2. Almond meal can replace flour for baking cookies, pies and cakes; the fiber and protein are so good for you and tasty.
3. Fresh thyme is wonderful for meats and soups and also great in tea if you are suffering from congestion.
4. Lemon works not only for dressings, but also for zest in baking. It is great for roast chicken and can be used for a wonderful lemon pasta (we use gluten-free quinoa pasta): Make your pasta (adding lemon rind to the pasta water) and a pesto of olive oil, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and basil.
5. Coconut flour can be used for baking as well, but also for thickening sauces for a gluten-free option.
Mariel Hemingway is an Academy award winning actress, author, eco-enthusiast, healthy lifestyle brand entrepreneur and optimal living advocate. She loves to eat and loves to entertain, featuring recipes form her own cookbooks for friends and family.
Watch Mariel Hemingway on Log On & Eat with Eden Grinshpan, Tuesday, October 29, at 9:30pm ET.