Our absolute favorite holidays are ones that call for dressing up. Halloween, Purim, Gay Pride — all holidays that are much more fun when you deck yourself out in the festively appropriate gear. And because St. Patrick’s Day adds the element of threatening physical violence via a pinch to those who don’t don green, well, we’re just giddy when March 17 rolls around.
That is, until we see the garish, green food coloring-dyed eats and drinks that are offered as celebratory fare. We hate to burst your chemically hued bubble, but a drop of green dye does not a St. Patrick’s Day libation make. There are so many fun, delicious and, most-importantly, naturally green ingredients out there — pandan, green tea and basil, to name a few — that are just waiting to lend a hand to your St. Paddy’s Day menu.
Below are some of our favorite predominantly green dishes and drinks to give you greenspiration. So keep your pinching-fingers away from the food coloring dropper, and ready them for more-important things — like hurting your friends in the name of a holiday based around a saint.
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Salsa Verde & Fresh Chickpea Salad
- Carne Asada Tacos with Green Salsa
- Lamb with Spinach & Garlicky Tahini Sauce
- Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- Quick Braised Greens with Bacon & Sweet Onions
- Hot Corn with Chimichurri Butter
- Mint Cheesecake with a Chocolate Cookie Crust (pictured above)
- Green Tea & Orange Chocolate Chip “Crownie”
- Pandan Chiffon Cake
- Arugula Mojito
- A Pair of Pandan Cocktails
- Alie & Georgia’s St. Patrick’s Day Cocktail (pictured below)
Get More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes and Ideas