Low and behold, August is National Sandwich Month. And lucky for us, pulled pork and brisket sometimes taste even better wedged between crisp, toasted bread. The Fourth Earl of Sandwich — credited as the first to bookend his meat and cheese between two slices — clearly knew his way around a slider.Make your sandwich festivities a barbecued affair this month with thick shreds of meat, crunchy coleslaw and sweet-and-sour sauces.
1. Brisket Sandwich: Chuck’s thick cut of brisket goes a long way. The dry garlic-ginger rub is flavorful but mild, allowing his homemade chipotle apple sauce to shine throughout (pictured above).
2. Pulled Pork and Kimchi Sandwich: Cuisines collide with Chuck’s Korean barbecue fusion. Sweet, spicy kimchi offsets the rich, tender shreds of pork and melted cheese between the panini-pressed egg bread.
3. Bobby’s Sweet and Spicy Pork and Slaw Sandwich: Bobby Deen eliminates butter, sugar and traditional ketchup for a low-fat and lower sodium barbecue sandwich on whole wheat buns. With a canned tomato base and amber agave for sweetness, this barbecue sauce is as close as it gets to guilt-free.
4. Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: Ellie Krieger also keeps the calorie count down with chopped rotisserie chicken in low-sodium, butter-free tomato sauce. Liquid smoke lends the sauce that charred flavor without fattening add-ins.
5. Barbecue Chicken Sliders: Take this slider straight from the tailgating handbook. Once coated with a southern spice rub and slow-cooked in a Pilsner beer sauce, the chicken shreds are piled on steamed potato buns for a slider that means business year-round.
More Barbecue Recipes from Family and Friends:
The Lemon Bowl: Tart Cherry Chinese BBQ Pulled Pork
Feed Me Phoebe: Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Lebanese Tomato Salsa
Weelicious: Southern-Style Pork Tenderloin
The Heritage Cook: Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (Gluten-Free)
Napa Farmhouse 1885: BBQ Pork Ribs
Red or Green: BBQ Salmon with Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze and Marinated Tomatoes
Domesticate Me: Fiery Barbecue Flank Steak Tacos with “Summer Mess” Salsa
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Ginger-Soy Marinated Flank Steak
FN Dish: The Beauties of Barbecue