Always leftover on the crudité platter, cauliflower suffers a reputation as the vegetable kingdom’s bland, lifeless throwaway. But the cruciferous underdog is flexing its florets with its versatility and pleasant crispness. These five recipes are proof that cauliflower is more than broccoli’s pale cousin.
1. Adding cauliflower to classic mac ‘n’ cheese not only adds an earthy touch to the comfort food classic, it also lightens the recipe a bit. Try the three-cheese blend of Rachael’s version (pictured above).
2. Strong enough to hold up to any amount of spice, this cauliflower “popcorn” roasts with thyme, garlic and cayenne for a crunchy snack that has none of the guilt of the usual box-office alternatives.
3. You can’t really go wrong with a thick triangle of fried dough. These spicy samosas are packed with cauliflower and potatoes for a unique Indian-inspired appetizer.
4. Cauliflower tastes just as good when it’s soup-ified. Try Nadia G’s five-star creamy cauliflower soup, topped with crisp, salty pancetta and sautéed leeks.
5. Vegetarian Buffalo wings are no longer an oxymoron, at least not when the dish is Buffalo-style cauliflower. Serve it with cashew-dill dipping sauce to offset any heat.
More Cauliflower Recipes from Family + Friends:
The Lemon Bowl: Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken with Cauliflower
Feed Me Phoebe: Vegan Cauliflower Soup with Red Curry
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Hash Brown Cauliflower and Potatoes
The Cultural Dish: Cauliflower and Leek Soup
Dishing with Divya: Gobi Manchurian
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Smokey Cauliflower Soup with Parmigiano-Reggiano
Red or Green: Cauliflower and Peppers Pasta with Spicy Pesto
Swing Eats: Cauliflower T-Bone Steaks with Olive, Lemon and Parsley
Dishin & Dishes: Curried Cauliflower Chowder
Domesticate Me: Three Cheese Cauliflower Gratin
Weelicious: Vegetarian Tagine
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Cauliflower Breadsticks
Taste With The Eyes: Spiced Roasted Cauliflower with Walnut, Cilantro, Mint
FN Dish: Reasons to Reconsider Cauliflower (recipes)