Bright orange and already popping up on porches across the country, the pumpkin is the most infamous fall signifier. Beyond its decor potential, this member of the squash family is also a bit magical (just ask Cinderella or check out The Legend of Sleepy Hollow). Of all the lore, we’re partial to Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater for his diet and all it’s gourd-infused potential. Tempted to try it? Here are the five ways to start.
1. These pumpkin-packed sticky buns (pictured above) are practically guaranteed to improve any autumn morning. The gooey pastry is topped with a sweet pecan-bourbon caramel sauce for an extra indulgent coating.
2. Before carving all of your pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns, dice up one for this pureed pumpkin soup. It has warming powers for the crispest of days.
3. We can’t decide if the real power of Alton Brown’s pumpkin bread is in its taste or aroma. The loaf is baked with two punches of pumpkin: seeds and shredded fresh pumpkin.
4. If you have an extra strong pumpkin craving, slather pumpkin butter on your slice of pumpkin bread. It’s the edible equivalent of making your home in a pumpkin patch.
5. Risotto already has a tendency to be nutty and buttery, so pumpkin is a nice component. Mixed with mascarpone and parmesan, pumpkin risotto is a hearty fall favorite.
More Pumpkin Favorites from Friends + Family:
Feed Me Phoebe: 7 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes for Fall
The Lemon Bowl: Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (Gluten-Free)
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Oat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Bacon and Souffle: Easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Weelicious: Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Virtually Homemade: Gluten-Free Dark Brownies with Pumpkin Frosting
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pumpkin and Chocolate Chip Cake
Red or Green: Spiced Pumpkin Waffles with Maple Syrup Glazed Bacon
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
The Cultural Dish: Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
The Mom 100: Pumpkin Gingerbread with Crystallized Ginger
Haute Apple Pie: Pumpkin Bread Truffles
Domesticate Me: No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites with Dark Chocolate Chunks (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Swing Eats: Pumpkin Almond Spice Waffles (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: Pumpkin Spice (and Everything Nice)