Vampires, beware. Roasted garlic is nearly impossible to resist at this time of year, whether it appears as a toast topper or an enhancement to fluffy mashed potatoes. Roasting takes pungent and spicy garlic cloves and mellows them into a soft and buttery spread. Embrace this fundamental cooking component with five of our favorites.
1. The mother of all garlicky indulgences, garlic bread (pictured above) tops our list. The crunch of the crusty bread paired with the creamy roasted garlic makes it the ideal pairing for soups and stews.
2. Feeling French? Whip up some roasted garlic aioli, Provencal-style, and serve with crisp, browned artichokes for dipping.
3. We can’t think of many things sadder than bland mashed potatoes. Kick up your batch with warm roasted garlic. Bobby Flay adds mascarpone cheese for an extra velvety texture.
4. For the biggest Garlic Groupies, we recommend Alton Brown’s garlic-packed recipe, which as the name suggests, is one chicken roasted with 40 peeled garlic cloves.
5. Tomatoey pasta dishes would not be complete without the savory depth of roasted garlic. Case in point: Rachael Ray’s roasted tomato & roasted garlic puttanesca with a salty punch of olives and anchovies.
More Garlicky Finds from Friends + Family:
The Lemon Bowl: Crispy Garlic Baked Chicken Breasts
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Roasted Garlic Tomato Pasta Sauce
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Baking Sheet Spaghetti with Roasted Garlic, Peppers & Eggplant
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Red Swiss Chard with Roasted Garlic & Balsamic
Red or Green: Pasta Puttanesca with Roasted Garlic
Taste with the Eyes: Crusted Ahi with Roasted Garlic Tahini
Dishing With Divya: Baked Salmon with Garlic and Herbs
Virtually Homemade: Roasted Broccoli and Garlic with Feta Cheese
The Cultural Dish: Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Domesticate Me: Butternut Squash Soup with Roasted Garlic, Goat Cheese and Pepitas
The Mom 100: Roasted Garlic and Tomato Bread
FN Dish: 10 Excuses to Eat Roasted Garlic