A versatile root addition to salads, soups and sides, carrots are more than just bunny food. Whether served crisp and snappy or roasted to sweet tenderness, the orange (or sometimes purple, red, yellow and white) vegetables are a sure-fire fall fan favorite. Here are a few ways to get them on the table.
1. Bring out carrots’ natural sweetness with Sunny Anderson’s honey-glazed carrots (pictured above). They complement almost any meaty main, and offer a bright pop of color to the table.
2. Bobby Flay crowns the carrot as the king of this salad, and tops it with a citrusy-sweet-spicy dressing. Cumin and cayenne pepper give the dish an earthy flavor with just the right amount of heat.
3. This isn’t just any old carrot soup. Rachael’s ginger-soy carrot soup is a soothing starter. Craving soup as your main? Put a hearty fried egg on top.
4. why stop at savory? Carrot’s a superstar in desserts, too, like Alton Brown’s carrot cake. The classic cake’s soft cinnamon and nutmeg aroma, paired with a rich cream cheese frosting, make it an irresistible end-of-meal must.
5. Skip the fruity jam. Laura Calder’s carrot confiture is our new favorite toast-topper. Cook up one batch for eating and another for gifting. Then grab a hunk of your favorite bread, some butter, slather on your carrot creation and enjoy.
More Carrot Recipes from Friends + Family:
Feed Me Phoebe: Honey Roasted Carrots with Thyme
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Ghost Chile Carrot Hot Sauce
The Heritage Cook: Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup #FallFest
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Carrot Cake with Coconut and Raisins
Weelicious: Spiced Carrot Cauliflower Soup
The Mom 100: Carrot Fries with Sriracha Sauce
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Easy Slaw with Carrots & Red Peppers
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Carrot “Fettucine” with Lemon Thyme Butter Sauce
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Carrots & Avocado with Cumin
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Maple Candied Carrots with Currants
Swing Eats: Bourbon Maple Glazed & Braised Carrots
Dishing With Divya: Honey Glazed Baby Carrots
Daily*Dishin: Spicy Carrot Spread/Dip (Guten Free-Dairy Free)
FN Dish: 5 New Ways to Bake with Carrots