E-mail This Page to Your Friends x
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Found in Translation Giveaway Official Rules
“Found in Translation” Giveaway
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED DURING THE ENTRY PERIOD. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED SOLELY BY BINDING ARBITRATION. ONLINE ENTRY ONLY AND INTERNET ACCESS IS REQUIRED.
BY ENTERING/PARTICIPATING IN THE SWEEPSTAKES (I.E., LEAVING YOUR BLOG COMMENT), YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH ARE A CONTRACT, SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. WITHOUT LIMITATION, THIS CONTRACT INCLUDES INDEMNITIES TO THE SWEEPSTAKES ENTITIES (DEFINED BELOW) FROM YOU, MANDATORY ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
1. Eligibility. The “Found in Translation” Giveaway (the “Sweepstakes”) is only open to legal residents who are physically located in one (1) of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico, who are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees, officers and directors of Scripps Networks, LLC, d/b/a Cooking Channel (“Sponsor”), and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, networks (including, without limitation, Cooking Channel), advertising and promotion agencies, agents, distributors and other Suppliers (defined below) (collectively, the “Sweepstakes Entities”), and each of such employees, officers or directors immediate family members and/or those living in the same household (whether legally related or not) of each are not eligible to enter the Sweepstakes or win a prize. For purposes of this Sweepstakes, immediate family members are defined as spouse, domestic partner, parents, legal guardians, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren. Void where prohibited by law. By entering this Sweepstakes, each entrant represents and warrants that he or she meets these eligibility requirements and has read, accepts and will comply with these “Official Rules” and each entrant acknowledges that any violation thereof may disqualify entrant from the Sweepstakes.
There is a limit of one (1) entry per person, per valid e-mail address during the Entry Period. The Website’s database clock will be the official timekeeper for this Sweepstakes. For purposes of this Sweepstakes, only entries that are recorded on the Website’s servers will be considered. Other proof of submitting an entry (such as a printed or copied screen or message) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of the entry purposes of this Sweepstakes. Subsequent attempts made by the same individual to submit multiple entries by using multiple or false contact information or otherwise may be disqualified. All entries submitted become property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Entries generated by a script, computer program, macro, programmed, robotic or other automated means will not be accepted and will be void. Entries that are in excess of the stated limits, incomplete, illegible, corrupted, damaged, destroyed, forged, false, lost, late, garbled, misdirected, deceptive or otherwise not in compliance with the Official Rules may be disqualified from the Sweepstakes at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Illegible and/or incomplete entries and entries submitted by entrants who do not meet the eligibility requirements (including all requirements with respect to age and residence) are void. Those who do not follow all of the instructions, provide the required information in their entry form, or abide by these Official Rules or other instructions of Sponsor may be disqualified.
3. Winner Selection and Prize Claiming. Two (2) potential winner(s) will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible entries received in accordance with these Official Rules, which drawing will be conducted by a representative of Sponsor and will take place within a commercially reasonable time after the conclusion of the Entry Period. Sponsor will have complete discretion over interpretation of the Official Rules, of administration of the Sweepstakes, and of selection of the winner(s). Decisions of the Sponsor as to the administration of the Sweepstakes, interpretation of the Official Rules, and the selection of the winner(s) will be final. If, for any reason, more bona fide winner(s) come forward seeking to claim a prize, the winner(s) may be selected in a random drawing from among all persons making purportedly valid claims for the prize. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances.
Each potential winner will be notified that he/she has been selected as a potential winner in this Sweepstakes on or about October 14, 2012, by e-mail or other method selected in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Each potential winner of the Sweepstakes (and his/her parents or legal guardians if an eligible minor) may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability/prize acceptance agreement (the “Prize Acceptance Release”) and return the Prize Acceptance Release before being eligible to receive his or her prize. If any potential prize winner (or his/her parents or legal guardians if an eligible minor) fails or refuses to sign and return such Prize Acceptance Release within five (5) days of the first (1st) notification attempt or if the prize or prize notification is returned as rejected, faulty, unclaimed or returned as undeliverable to such potential prize winner, such potential prize winner (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) may be disqualified and an alternate may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be selected. Parents or legal guardians of any prize winner under the age of majority in their state of residence (which is eighteen (18) in most states but is nineteen (19) in Alabama and Nebraska and twenty-one (21) in Mississippi) may be required to also sign the Prize Acceptance Release in order for the prize winner to be qualified to receive their prize. If any potential prize winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules, he or she may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion, and an alternate potential prize winner may then, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be randomly selected. The Prize Acceptance Release is subject to verification by Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, damaged, intercepted misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify the potential winner(s), or if potential winner is a minor, for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts of potential winner to provide signed parental or guardian consent. When a potential winner is contacted, he/she will have a stated period of time within which to respond to the notification, or he/she will be disqualified and his/her prize forfeited, and an alternate potential winner may be randomly selected.
4. Odds. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period.
5. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values. Two (2) grand prize winner(s) will each receive one (1) copy of the “Found in Translation” . Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each prize: $16.00. Sponsor is not responsible for and winner will not receive the difference, if any, between the actual value of the prize at the time of award and the stated ARV in these Official Rules or in any Sweepstakes-related correspondence or materials. Prize details and availability are subject to change and prize provider’s rules and restrictions, and in the event that Sponsor is unable to provide a winner with their prize, the Sponsor may elect, to provide winner(s) with the approximate value of such item in cash or award an alternate prize of comparable or greater value. If Sponsor determines at any time, in its sole discretion, that a winner or potential winner is disqualified, ineligible, in violation of these Official Rules, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify that winner or potential winner, even if the disqualified winner or potential winner may have been notified or displayed or announced anywhere. All prizes are awarded “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
Prize winner(s) will be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with the prize they receive, regardless of whether it, in whole or in part, is used. The ARV of the prize is based on available information provided to Sponsor and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. The winner(s) may be required to provide Sponsor with a valid Social Security Number or tax identification number before the prize will be awarded for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form 1099 may be issued in the name of each winner for the actual value of the prize received. Any unclaimed prize will be forfeited. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen prize or any prize that is undeliverable or does not reach the winner because of an incorrect or changed address.
6. Publicity Release. Subject to applicable law, each winner irrevocably grants the Sweepstakes Entities and each of their licensees, and its and their successors, assigns and sub-licensees the right and permission to use his/her name, voice, likeness, blog post and/or biographical material for advertising, promotional and/or publicity purposes in connection with the Sweepstakes, in all forms of media and by all manners (now and hereafter known), and on and in connection with related products, services, advertising and promotional materials (now known or hereafter developed), worldwide, in perpetuity, without any obligation, notice or consideration except for the awarding of the prize to that winner. Entrants agree not to issue any publicity concerning the Sweepstakes Entities.
7. Tampering with Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for the actions of entrants in connection with the Sweepstakes, including entrants’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Sweepstakes, or whom Sponsor believes to be causing malfunction, error, disruption or damage may be disqualified. Additionally, any attempt to cheat the Sweepstakes, as determined at the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor, may result in immediate disqualification of the entrant, as well as other possible consequences, including disqualification from any and all existing and future sweepstakes. ANY ATTEMPT BY A PERSON TO DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE WEBSITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK ALL LEGAL AND EQUITABLE REMEDIES FROM AND AGAINST ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify (or terminate the prize of) any individual who is found to be, or suspected of, acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike, obscene, immoral or disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. Suspension / Modification / Termination. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Sweepstakes by any event beyond its control, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, communications or equipment failure, utility or service interruptions, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared), interference with the Sweepstakes by any party, or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence) Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Sweepstakes. Sponsor additionally reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion: (1) to modify, suspend or terminate the Sweepstakes should causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt or interfere with the administration, integrity, operation, security or proper play of the Sweepstakes; or (2) to disqualify any entrant found to be, or suspected of: (a) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes; (b) acting in violation of these Official Rules; or (c) acting in an un-sportsmanlike manner.
9. Waivers, Disclaimers and Releases. By participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities from and against any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to entrants’ participation in the Sweepstakes and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in the Sweepstakes; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Sweepstakes activity and/or prize). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, entrants agree that Sweepstakes Entities: (A) have neither made nor will be in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, in connection with the Sweepstakes and/or with respect to prizes, including, without limitation, to any prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose; (B) maintain no control over the personnel, equipment or operation of any air, water or surface carrier, ship line, bus or limousine company, transportation company, hotel, manufacturer or other person or entity furnishing services, products or accommodations (“Suppliers”) as a part of the prizes provided in connection with the Sweepstakes; and (C) will not be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or other irregularity that may be caused or contributed to: (1) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the Suppliers or any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors, (2) by any defect in or failure of any vehicle, equipment, instrumentality, service or product that is owned, operated, furnished or otherwise used by any of those Suppliers, (3) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Sweepstakes Entities, and (4) by any cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Sweepstakes Entities. Entrants agree and that the Sweepstakes Entities shall have no responsibility or liability for discontinued prizes; human error; incorrect or inaccurate transcription of registration and/or account information; any technical malfunctions of the telephone network, computer online system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, software, or Internet service provider utilized by Sponsor or entrant; interruption or inability to access the Website, any website or any Sponsor or affiliated entities’ respective websites, or any online service via the Internet due to hardware or software compatibility problems; any damage to participant’s (or any third person’s) computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from any part of the Sweepstakes; any lost/delayed data transmissions, omissions, interruptions, viruses, bugs, defects; and/or any other errors or malfunctions, even if caused by the negligence of the Sweepstakes Entities. Each entrant further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities from and against any and all liability resulting or arising from the Sweepstakes and to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Sweepstakes Entities and hereby acknowledge that the Sweepstakes Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to a prize, including express warranties provided exclusively by a Supplier that may be sent along with a prize. Sponsor is not responsible for the actions of entrants in connection with the Sweepstakes, including entrants’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. Entrants further understand and agree that all rights under Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California (“Section 1542”) and any similar law of any state or territory of the United States that may be applicable with respect to the foregoing release are hereby expressly and forever waived. Entrants acknowledge that Section 1542 provides that: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.” The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
11. Governing Law / Limitation of Liability. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or the Sweepstakes Entities in connection with the Sweepstakes will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state’s laws.
BY ENTERING THE SWEEPSTAKES, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE SWEEPSTAKES, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
12. Dispute Resolution/Arbitration. The parties agree to finally settle all disputes (as defined and subject to any specific exceptions below) only by arbitration. In arbitration, there’s no judge or jury and review is limited. The arbitrator’s decision and award is final and binding, with some exceptions under the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), and judgment on the award may be entered in any court with jurisdiction. The parties hereto each also agree as follows: If either of the parties wants to arbitrate a dispute, the parties agree to send written notice to the other providing a description of the dispute and the proposed resolution. Sponsor will send notice to you based on the contact information you have provided us and notice to us must be sent to: Scripps Networks, LLC, Attn: Legal Department, 1180 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. The parties agree to make attempts to resolve the dispute. If the parties cannot resolve the dispute within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the notice to arbitrate, then either party may submit the dispute to formal arbitration. The FAA applies to these Official Rules and arbitration provision. We each agree the FAA’s provisions, not state law, govern all questions of whether a dispute is subject to arbitration. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) under its consumer arbitration rules. If any AAA rule conflicts with these Official Rules, these Official Rules apply. You can obtain procedures, rules, and fee information from the AAA at 1-800-778-7879 or www.adr.org. In the event AAA is unwilling or unable to set a hearing date within fourteen (14) days of the filing of a “Demand for Arbitration”, than either party can elect to have the arbitration administered by the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (“JAMS”) or any other mutually agreeable arbitration administration service. The arbitration will be conducted by a single neutral arbitrator and will take place in New York, NY. The federal or state law that applies to these Official Rules will also apply during the arbitration. The parties each agree not to pursue arbitration on a class-wide basis. The parties each agree that any arbitration will be solely between you and us (not brought on behalf of or together with another individual’s claim). If for any reason any court or arbitrator holds that this restriction is unconscionable or unenforceable, then the agreement to arbitrate does not apply and the dispute must be brought in court. The prevailing party in the arbitration will be entitled to recover its costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and experts’ fees, which are incurred in connection with the arbitration; provided, however, if applicable law requires Sponsor to pay the arbitrator’s fee in order for the arbitration provision to be enforceable, Sponsor shall have the discretion to elect to pay such fees and proceed to arbitration. Either party may bring qualifying claims in small claims court. In no event shall any entrant seek or be entitled to rescission, injunctive or other equitable relief or to enjoin or restrain the operation of this Sweepstakes (or any Website connected therewith), exploitation of any advertising or other materials issued in connection therewith, or exploitation of this Sweepstakes (or any Website or any content or other materials used or displayed on the Website used in connection with the Sweepstakes).
13. List of Sweepstakes Winners/Official Rules Requests. To receive a list of the winner(s)’ names, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt no later than three (3) months after the end of the Entry Period to: “Found in Translation Giveaway”, c/o Scripps Networks, LLC, 75 9th Ave., New York, NY 10011. For a copy of these Official Rules, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope prior to the end of the Entry Period to: “Found in Translation Giveaway”, c/o Scripps Networks, LLC, 75 9th Ave., New York, NY 10011. Only one (1) request of either type per outer envelope, mailed separately, will be fulfilled. Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules requests.
14. Sponsor. The sponsor of this Sweepstakes is: Scripps Networks, LLC, d/b/a Cooking Channel, 75 9th Ave., New York, NY 10011.
//END OFFICIAL RULES//
© 2011 Scripps Networks, LLC
These Official Rules and the Sweepstakes may include trademarks and service marks of the Sponsor and/or third parties. References to trademarks and/or names of parties or related products or services are for reference and identification purposes only, not an endorsement, and are not intended to designate a sponsorship, affiliation, or association with Sponsor.
All rights reserved.