We’re in peak asparagus season! Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies to serve because picky eaters almost always enjoy it. The best part? It’s so good for you. Raw asparagus is low in calories (about 4 calories per spear), and it’s a source of fiber and potassium. Asparagus also contains glutathione, a powerful anticarcinogen and antioxidant. So make use of your local green market’s plentiful asparagus stock with these 25 fantastic uses of asparagus. In no particular order:
- This basic Roasted Asparagus recipe from Ina Garten is a good place to start your asparagus adventures.
- Spaghetti With Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto from Giada De Laurentiis is luscious and rich but takes only a few minutes to prepare.
- White asparagus is grown under soil to prevent photosynthesis from turning the stalks green. Just remember to peel the stalks before you cook them. Try it in Emeril’s Fried Soft Shell Crab, White Asparagus and Wild Sorrel With a Grilled Ramp Dressing.
- Creamy Farfalle With Cremini, Asparagus and Walnuts from Giada is a creamy crowd-pleaser.
- Wrap asparagus in almost anything. Rachael Ray wraps it in bacon, Giada wraps it with prosciutto and smoked salmon (pictured at top), Ellie Krieger wraps it in smoked turkey and Paula Deen wraps it in phyllo dough.