The fast food breakfast sandwich, in all its reincarnations — may it be made on bread, an English muffin, a croissant or a biscuit — has been around for decades, but in today’s world of marketing gimmicks, fast-food spots are figuring out new ways to stand out from the crowd. Sure, many chains offer eggs, cheese, bacon and/or sausages inside a breakfast burrito these days, but what can a fast food chain do to go beyond that? Plenty, as we’ve discovered.
Continue Reading The Highs and Lows of the Fast-Food Breakfast Sandwich
Kuma’s Corner, a burger joint in Chicago, is no stranger to unique sandwich combinations. Most of their burgers are heavy metal-themed, with titles such as Lair of the Minotaur and Plague Bringer. They have now come up with their most bizarre combo yet, which also has drawn the ire of some folks in the religious community.
It’s called the Ghost Burger and it’s ostensibly a tribute to Swedish metal band Ghost. No big deal, right? Well, it’s topped with an unconsecrated communion wafer and a red wine reduction. (It also includes aged white cheddar, a ghost pepper aioli and slowly braised goat shoulder.) The burger certainly sounds delicious, even though it has (understandably) courted some serious skeptics.
The restaurant has posted a message defending the burger on it website, emphasizing their creative vision, and has given a $1,500 donation to the Catholic Charities of the Chicago Archdiocese out of respect to those that were offended.
Turkey Burgers by How Sweet It Is
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Who says turkey burgers have to be dry and boring? This roasted jalapeno cheddar burger with BBQ aioli by How Sweet It Is is anything but.
- A Couple Cooks‘ grilled eggplant Parmesan is a fun summery spin on the Italian classic.
- The Gouda Life’s recipe for spicy Bloody Marias calls for tequila and roasted tomato juice and is perfect for brunch this weekend.
- We’re guessing White On Rice Couple’s Sriracha roast chicken tastes just as amazing as it sounds and looks.
- Bake or Break’s melt in your mouth peach drop cookies capture the taste of peach cobbler in a handheld treat.
S’mores Bars by Once Upon A Cutting Board
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- ‘Tis the season for gooey s’mores. If you’re not off to camp anytime soon, Once Upon A Cutting Board’s s’mores bars are a delicious alternative.
- What’s your secret to a perfect burger? Set the Table swears by peanut butter and a fried egg.
- Grab some chips and whip together This Homemade Life’s nacho cheese sauce for an awesome afternoon snack or dinner side.
- If you haven’t made strawberry rhubarb pie yet, now is the time. Andrea Meyers has a tasty recipe.
- Use Real Butter’s corn pudding is the perfect summer side for your next backyard barbecue.
Memorial Day and grilling burgers seem to be synonymous, so get ready to tune into some juicy, well-seasoned programming on Cooking Channel as we kick off Burger Week. We’re turning to the coals for over-the-top, fire-kissed burgers that you won’t find at a drive-through window.
Start on Sunday, May 26 with the Deen Burger complete with applewood-smoked bacon, sharp Cheddar, avocado and Jamie’s special sauce. Then catch an episode of Unique Eats and go beyond the traditional with the Smokey Burger (pictured above) topped with Smoked Beef Brisket, BBQ sauce and gouda.
On Wednesday, May 29, explore the history and evolution of this beloved culinary icon on United Tastes of America. Then check out Bobby Dean’s answer to a mushroom burger that doesn’t lack confidence. And tune into Bobby Flay’s Burger Throwdown on Thursday, May 30, as he prepares a Burger with Cheddar, Grilled Onion and Horseradish Mustard. Whether you prefer the revered American Cheese-topped burger or a burger that really pushes the envelope, we’ve got the recipes to satisfy your appetite.
Hungry yet? Don’t forget to check out our Top Burger Recipes.
All-American Cheeseburger by Neighbor Food
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Neighbor Food’s All-American bacon cheeseburger is the perfect recipe for Memorial Day.
- Calling all snickerdoodle lovers: Shugary Sweets’ cookie dough truffles are just for you.
- This Tuscaloosa Tollhouse pie is a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and pecan pie. Check out Laura’s Sweet Spot for the recipe.
- We’re drooling over Dine & Dash’s asparagus pizza topped with bechamel sauce and a runny egg.
- Willow Bird Baking lightens up lobster rolls and serves the filling atop a bed of greens. Don’t worry, the garlicky croutons add just the right amount of buttery indulgence.
Your local butcher can be your guide to custom-ground burgers.
Meat-eaters of America, grilling season starts with burgers. And great burgers start with great meat, freshly ground. Which is why this grilling season is the perfect time to start a relationship — with your butcher.
Find yourself a good full-service butcher — someone who grinds daily, and grinds to order. Just as importantly, find someone you can talk to. That someone holds the key to carnivore happiness.
The following list is intended to help you in your search. Call it grill season matchmaking. All the places below grind beef fresh daily. Some even make their own proprietary burger blend. But at these establishments you needn’t feel limited by what’s already in the meat case. Any good butcher will be happy to grind whole cuts for you. Chuck roast, which has great flavor and a fat-to-lean ratio well-suited to burgers, is always a good burger choice on its own. But try mixing in some brisket or adding some short rib and top round to the mix and see what a difference it makes. Better yet, solicit some ideas from the guy behind the counter. Get to know him!
Continue Reading Get to Know: Local Butchers
Chicken Burger with Lemongrass and Lime from Bill's Holiday
We’re blazing our way through Cooking Channel recipes, one show at a time. Hope you’re cooking along! Leave links to your blogs and post pictures to Facebook.
Continue Reading Cooking the Channel: Chicken Burgers
Two words: Shake. Shack.
We’ve caught some nice tweets fluttering around the Twittersphere about Unique Eats so we wanted to share a few. Thanks, Food People. Glad we could make you hungry…
Continue Reading Sweet Tweets For Unique Eats