I’m sure you’ve spent days, perhaps even weeks, anticipating National Donut Day, a day that gives Americans another excuse to eat deep-fried dough. The Salvation Army celebrated the first donut day in 1938 to honor the women who served donuts to servicemen in WWI, so now the first Friday in June marks a day to pay tribute to our donut-serving veterans. Whether it’s jelly-filled or sprinkle-topped, a donut in hand is a delicious and patriotic breakfast.
Maybe you’ll celebrate by grabbing a free donut from a mediocre chain, or maybe you’ll stand in a long line for the fashionable cronut (they’re probably sold out by now, sorry). But perhaps you could celebrate by making your own beloved, sugar-dusted treats, because what’s not to love about fried dough served piping hot and fresh? This slippery slope (I’m on) is sure to lead to a day of donut indulgences and doughy discoveries.
However you choose to celebrate, here are our top donut recipes for a hole lot of inspiration (donut pun shamelessly intended):
Continue Reading Our Top Donut Recipes to Celebrate National Donut Day
Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze by ambrosia
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Doughnut Fix: These chocolate-glazed and rainbow-sprinkled treats from ambrosia should appease the 12-year-old girl who made headlines this week defaming the plain old doughnut.
- While Joy the Baker is known for chocolate confections, we love her “What’s wrong with you!? Stop thinking about pie and waffles!!!”-Super Spinach Smoothie.
- Today is California Strawberry Day! It’s the perfect excuse for these strawberry crepe cupcakes from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen.
- Combine smoked salmon, asparagus and goat cheese for Nectar‘s bright and beautiful quiche.
- Dessert for breakfast: smitten kitchen‘s carrot cake pancakes will help satisfy your sweet tooth and kick start a good day.
Pumpkin and Squash Recipes on CookingChannelTV.com
Cooking Channel has a bunch of tasty pumpkin and squash recipes rolling onto your television in the next week and we wanted to share a few that you’ll probably want to watch…
Continue Reading Pumpkin & Squash Recipe Central
Homemade Pumpkin Doughnuts - courtesy of Food2.com
A colleague from Food2.com came into the office yesterday with the most evil temptations…homemade pumpkin doughnuts. You do NOT want a warm batch of these only feet from your desk…
Continue Reading Cooking: Halloween Treats and Recipes
Homemade IPA - Amber Ale Donuts
Sorry — donuts and beer…in one sitting…in one tasty dessert? This could be the best news we’ve heard all day.
Continue Reading Pix Potluck — Amber Ale Donuts