Your job as an ice cream maker is to make unforgettable flavors. By combining ingredients that are iconic, and retooling classic combinations, you arrive at ice cream that becomes the main event. Each ice cream has many components that contribute to its character – color, crunch, cream, scent. All of those add up to create the sensory experience of the flavor – but it’s more than that, it becomes a personality. You create the personality of an ice cream by mixing and matching the base ice cream flavor with exciting sauces or bits that are added after the ice cream freezes in the canister machine.
What I love is that subtle tweaks to a recipe can alter the whole theme of the ice cream – and that changes what you believe about it and has a big affect on how you perceive the flavor. One of my favorite additions to ice cream is simple bread crumbs. I usually double toast them, and when added to ice cream they absorb the sugar syrup in the cream and become soft and cake-like. You can do a lot with bread. Consider the personality of these three similar, but very different ice creams, each made by adding toasted bread crumbs to the ice cream and layering jam throughout:
Continue Reading Mix It Up: Breadcrumbs in Ice Cream
I inherited my banana bread recipe from my future mother-in-law; it’s the only recipe my fiancé claims is worth making. I’ve made a few changes of my own to the recipe over the past few years, and now it’s the only recipe I claim is worth making. My secrets? I roast the bananas to bring out their natural sweetness (no need to let them rot on your counter). Both butter and a splash of oil keep the bread moist for days, and vanilla bean paste adds a certain something extra you can’t quite put your finger on.
Banana bread — especially this banana bread — is delicious all year round, but how ’bout a little summertime makeover? Think grilled banana bread ice cream sandwiches, a fun twist on an old classic! The best part? These are so simple you almost don’t need a recipe. I threw the bread on the grill to add a nice toasty flavor and to help it stand up in the freezer. When it came to choosing ice cream flavors, I got a little crazy. Vanilla made for a classic ice cream sandwich, but my favorite pairing was rich and creamy coconut gelato — such an amazing flavor combination. If you get really adventurous, try using your own homemade ice cream. (I went with banana. Oh my word.) Then the possibilities are truly endless!
Continue Reading Grilled Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches
Food Through the Page's Sandcastle Cake
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Looking for a wow factor? This sandcastle cake from Food Through the Pages is your answer. Move over Barbie, Little Mermaid is the new cake topping queen.
- We’re inspired by Trissalicious’ beautiful recreation of French Laundry’s salmon tartare cornets. For a night you truly want to challenge your culinary skills, try these delicate treats.
- Cupcakes just got a summer make over with these coffee ice cream cupcakes from How Sweet Eats. Store in the freezer to enjoy them throughout the week (if they’ll last that long).
- Combine puff pastry, Parmesan, poppy seeds and a dash of cayenne to make Treats easy and delicious cheese straws. They’re the perfect appetizer for your summer cocktail parties.
- Cool off with A Thought For Food’s refreshing rhubarb and strawberry limeade. And while you’re at it, top it off with some Prosecco for even more fun.