Jam maker Rachel Saunders wants you to think beyond toast and English muffins. The founder and owner of Bay Area-based Blue Chair Fruit stopped by the Cooking Channel offices recently and gave us a taste of her artisanal jams and marmalades. She also shared this Top 10 list of favorite ways to eat her addictively delicious jams.
1. In a Tart Shell: One of my favorite things in the whole world is Italian crostata, which in its most classic form is a simple jam-filled tart with a dry, cake-like crust. I especially love this with orange marmalade inside.
2. In a BLT: We often make mock BLTs using our tomato jams and tomato conserves. The combination of sweet tomato and smoky bacon is irresistible!
3. With Scones and Clotted Cream: One of my most decadent treats is classic English scones with clotted cream and our Apple-Meyer Lemon Marmalade. Usually, people think of jam with clotted cream, but I think a delicate marmalade is even more luscious.
Continue Reading 10 Delicious Ways to Enjoy Jam and Marmalade
Fig jam with fennel pollen, yogurt cheese, pickled figs.
Abundance is the mother of preservation. My friend Amy found herself in possession of a very large quantity of figs, more than any rational human could possibly manage to consume, so I happily took a few flats off her hands. Fig jam, after all, is my absolute favorite.
Continue Reading Fig Jam with Fennel Pollen
Cucumber Jam, Pickled Squash and Hot Pickle Relish
I’ve always been intrigued, if a bit intimidated, by the canning process. My parents stopped canning when I was about waist-high, so while I dreamed of having a root-cellar (yes, I live in an apartment, but, hey, it’s my dream) full of canned goods, I’d never actually canned anything.
So when my friend (and canning aficionado) Margaret came home from a vacation to a two-wheelbarrow crop of cucumber and squash, I was thrilled to help her put it all up (and get half the results).
Continue Reading Canning: Pickles, Relish and Jam
Cardamom Apricot Pistachio Crostata by Faycat of *The Passionfruit*
Linkage we’re liking:
* Apricot, Pistachio, Cardamom Crostata Heaven – [*The Passionfruit*]
* Blackberry, Blueberry Port Wine Jam — Sip, Savor or Spread? – [ShowFood Chef]
* Tipsy, Vino-Loving Cows = Better Steaks??! – [The Vancouver Sun]
What are you preserving, jamming or pickling right now? Share below…