Even though we’re only a few weeks into the summer, I don’t think I can handle another hamburger or hot dog. Or even a piece of grilled chicken. I need something new, something that will remind my taste buds that there is more to life than beef. Lamb is the answer to your (okay, my) summer prayers — its rich flavor just begs to be cooked over an open flame. Lamb is a good source of zinc, iron and B vitamins. Look for lamb that is pinkish and firm, with white fat. Grass-fed lamb will have a more pronounced (gamy) flavor, so ask your butcher if you’re catering to picky eaters. Be the start of a BBQ revolution with 25 of our favorite lamb recipes.
- Roger Mooking’s Five-Spice Lamb Burgers with Pickled Cucumber Relish and Five-Spice Aioli (pictured above) is a refreshing change from the standard burger. Five-spice powder is a blend of spices that usually includes star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Szechuan peppercorns and fennel seeds.
- Forget about chicken or beef kebabs; try out Lamb Kebabs with Tamarind Sauce.
- Sliders are a barbecuer’s best friend, like Mini Moroccan Lamb Burgers on Brioche with Lemon Yogurt Sauce.
- Abbacchio o Capretto Brodettato: Baby Lamb with Egg Sauce is a simple traditional Italian dish that celebrates spring and is often found at the Easter table in Italy from Rome to Calabria.
- Emeril’s Spicy Lamb and Eggplant Lasagna uses sliced eggplant instead of sheets of pasta for a low-carb (yet still mouthwatering) option.