Oranges are available year-round, but during winter (when citrus is in season) they give us the little burst of tropical elements and vitamin C that we need to stave off cabin fever and colds alike. So while you’re sifting through these recipes and deciding which ones you need to make immediately, put on the Beach Boys and channel your inner tropical paradise.
- Crepes Suzette with Vanilla Ice Cream and Orange Butter Sauce is a classic combo. Crepes should be paper thin, so just use a small ladle of the batter in a smoking-hot pan — it may take a few tries to get them looking perfect, but even mess-ups will taste good with some ice cream.
- Quick-cooking Grilled Pork Tenderloin a la Rodriguez with Guava and Orange-Habanero Mojo (pictured above) will be a winner with the whole family. Habaneros normally hit around 200,000 on the Scoville scale, which means they’re super-hot — don’t touch your face or eyes after chopping!
- A quick blender ice cream cools down Tyler Florence’s Orange Cream Mimosa. Substitute the Champagne with sparkling cider or ginger ale for an under-21-friendly libation.
- Orange zest can be just as important as the fruit itself, as it gives off a strong fruity-floral flavor without the sweetness from the juice. Experiment with orange zest in everything from marinades to salad dressing to desserts like Toasted Coconut and Orange Icebox Cookies.
- Nothing chases away the winter blues like fiery San Diego-Style Blue Corn Salmon Tacos with Orange-Habanero Hot Sauce.