Our season-long garden party Fall Fest 2012 welcomes food and garden bloggers to feature garden-to-table recipes and tips. We’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. Fresh this week: pumpkin.
Pumpkins make great jack-o-lanterns but before you toss all those stringy insides and slimy seeds, take a look at these tasty recipes that put pumpkin insides to good use.
1. Pumpkin Patch Mash (pictured above)
Skip mashed potatoes as a side dish for dinner tonight in favor of mashed pumpkin. Cook boiled pumpkin with cream, butter and brown sugar and mix until smooth. Top with crispy fried pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
Continue Reading Fall Fest: Pumpkins Are For More Than Just Carving
Orange-O-Lanterns by Just Putzing Around The Kitchen
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Carving pumpkins is a messy (not always fun) task. Just Putzing Around the Kithen’s orange-o-laterns, however, are easy, adorable and perfect for holding Halloween candies.
- Brown Butter Pumpkin Beer Waffles: Yes, this recipe exists. Thank you, Hungry Girl por Vida. We’ll be making these soon.
- Savory and sweet work together in Spicy Ice Cream’s decadent chocolate olive oil mousse with bourbon caramel popcorn.
- It’s apple thyme! Spoon Fork Bacon adds an aromatic twist to the classic fall cake.
- Do you have a favorite fresh pasta recipe? The Endless Meal’s homemade ravioli has inspired our inner-Italian spirit.
- Alton’s sweet potato waffles don’t call for booze, but they make for a mighty tasty fall breakfast.
- If anyone could host the the best and baddest Halloween bash, it’s Nadia G. Check out her hot party ideas.
Halloween Cookies and Cream Ice Cream by Amy Bites
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Who says ice cream is only for the summer? Amy Bites’ cookies and cream ice cream with Halloween Oreos is both festive and tasty. Plus, ice cream is always a good idea.
- Speaking of Oreos, this frozen hot chocolate recipe by Lauren’s Latest is the real-deal. The name may seem contradictory, but it will make absolute sense once you try it.
- Pumpkin pie spice is in high demand during autumn. Sweet Remedy shows you how make your own, using ingredients already in your pantry.
- Jazz up your favorite pancake batter to make Everyday Southwest’s recipe for pumpkin pancakes with cajeta de leche.
- Pizza Sleeping Bag: Use or Lose? Buzzfeed rounded up “14 Groundbreaking Pizza Inventions.”
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie by Jesse Monds
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- If you love the combo of chocolate + peanut butter, this pie by Jessie Monds is made for you. With a chocolate cookie crust, peanut butter mouse and chocolate ganache, what’s not to love?
- What type of birthday cake do you make for the ultimate Star Wars fan? How about a life-sized Darth Vader cake? The final creation towers over six and a half feet tall and weighs a whopping 500 pounds. Check out photos of the cake’s construction (and destruction) on Huffington Post. Open for pun; “Luke, I am your fondant” is our favorite.
- This Food52 winning recipe for miso caramel captures the power of umami and goes well with savory and sweet foods alike. It’s also perfectly acceptable to eat by the spoonful, we say.
- Starbucks’ pumpkin spice lattes have returned (and yes, we’ve satisfied our cravings for them a few times already), which means it’s time to start talking pumpkin flavored everything. So even though it’s not quite fall, we’re ready for Red and the Wolf’s pumpkin kiss cake.
- Fill Gourmandelle’s baguette cups with cheese dip for the a fun party appetizer. They’re portable, easy and delicious.
We’re continuing our season long Fall Fest 2011, which welcomes food and garden bloggers to feature garden-to-table recipes and tips. We’ll help you to enjoy all that this season has to offer. First up was the classic fall favorite, apples, then a Thanksgiving staple, potatoes, and now we’re featuring pumpkin.
Yes, pumpkins make great jack-o-lanterns, but did you also know that they make a great dinner? While you may see gigantic great-for-carving pumpkins at the market right now, you’ll also notice the smaller and adorably plump pie or sugar pumpkins that are easier to work with. Use two of these small pumpkins (or one medium-sized) to prepare a fresh pumpkin risotto made with fresh pumpkin puree and diced pumpkin.
Continue Reading Fall Fest: Pumpkin Risotto
The trick to this treat is crushed Doritos.
Sure carving pumpkins into Jack-o’lanterns is fun and all, but where’s the payoff? You do all that work, and in the end, there’s nothing to eat (except for some seeds). In an ideal world, Jack-o’-lanterns would be cute, squat, orange and taste like nachos.
This nacho-flavored, pumpkin-shaped cheese ball is just the thing for your Halloween party. It looks like a pumpkin, but tastes like everyone’s favorite party chip.
This is one pumpkin that won’t get smashed, but it will be devoured.
Continue Reading Nacho Jack-o’-Lantern Cheese Ball
Braise today, grill tomorrow -- cook the last of your favorite winter foods.
Oh, winter, with your gray days, cold temps and snow drifts. I may wax poetic for picture-perfect snow storms when the oppressive August heat arrives, but right now I’m so ready to move on to warmer and greener things. My pantry, however, is still stuck in depths-of-winter mode. Is yours still prepped for the next ice storm? This week, bring it into the light by using up the last of all those winter remnants.
Continue Reading Spring Clean Your Pantry
Jamie's Butternut Squash Muffins
Short ones, fat ones, striped ones, massive ones — we’re talking about pumpkins and squash, of course! Whether your garden has a bumper crop or if you just went overboard at the pumpkin farm (see: my kitchen counter), don’t use your bounty just for decoration. Today at 2:30 pm Jamie cooks up these butternut squash muffins (you might call them cupcakes) and more, from his garden’s harvest. Keep reading to get a taste.
Continue Reading Jamie’s Pumpkin-Palooza
Pumpkin and Squash Recipes on CookingChannelTV.com
Cooking Channel has a bunch of tasty pumpkin and squash recipes rolling onto your television in the next week and we wanted to share a few that you’ll probably want to watch…
Continue Reading Pumpkin & Squash Recipe Central
Homemade Pumpkin Doughnuts - courtesy of Food2.com
A colleague from Food2.com came into the office yesterday with the most evil temptations…homemade pumpkin doughnuts. You do NOT want a warm batch of these only feet from your desk…
Continue Reading Cooking: Halloween Treats and Recipes