This pie was baked by my 14-year-old son. He made the dough, mixed a filling of tart rhubarb and sweet cherries, and then he created the lattice. I sat back, trying not to take over, and just watched in amazement as he figured it all out. It was a thing of beauty to see him moving so confidently in the kitchen and his pie, well you can see for yourself, the kid has skill. I was in heaven. There is nothing sweeter than a kid in the kitchen and especially when he’s baking my favorite pie.
Rhubarb-Cherry Pie Recipe
Continue Reading Easy Rhubarb-Cherry Pie
Food Through the Page's Sandcastle Cake
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Looking for a wow factor? This sandcastle cake from Food Through the Pages is your answer. Move over Barbie, Little Mermaid is the new cake topping queen.
- We’re inspired by Trissalicious’ beautiful recreation of French Laundry’s salmon tartare cornets. For a night you truly want to challenge your culinary skills, try these delicate treats.
- Cupcakes just got a summer make over with these coffee ice cream cupcakes from How Sweet Eats. Store in the freezer to enjoy them throughout the week (if they’ll last that long).
- Combine puff pastry, Parmesan, poppy seeds and a dash of cayenne to make Treats easy and delicious cheese straws. They’re the perfect appetizer for your summer cocktail parties.
- Cool off with A Thought For Food’s refreshing rhubarb and strawberry limeade. And while you’re at it, top it off with some Prosecco for even more fun.
Rhubarb is one of those ingredients that people either adore or avoid. I fall into the former, and use it as much as possible during its rather short growing season. I’ve made it into crisps, pies and even eaten it raw, dipped in sugar (which is admittedly hard core).
Combining the mouth puckering sour flavor of rhubarb with sweet, creamy honey ice cream base may just be the perfect marriage. I think this is going to turn even the most ardent rhubarb haters, into its biggest fans. For those of you who just can’t get enough of it, spoon some of the remaining ruby-red rhubarb sauce over the top.
Continue Reading Honey-Rhubarb Ice Cream