Cooking Channel has gone mash-up crazy in the best way possible. Caesar salad is commingling with pizza. Doughnuts are adorning icebox cakes. Would a rose by any other name taste as sweet as lasagna meatloaf? If you’re still looking to deviate from the norm, here’s one more for you to try: the BLT meets a gin and tonic.
For many of us, a hearty BLT and a refreshing G&T are already a match made in heaven. Crispy thick-cut bacon on mayo-slathered toasted bread deserves the stylish sophistication of such a timeless drink — it’s like edible shabby chic. Don’t fret, though, if you’re not into the whole “booze for dinner” thing. It’s fine to leave out the gin if you don’t care for it; this open-face knife and fork sandwich will still be a dinner-table rock star.
After you’ve given this a go, c’mon back to Cooking Channel for even more craveable comfort food mash-ups.
Continue Reading Dinner Rush! Gin + Tonic Salmon BLTs
Food Through the Page's Sandcastle Cake
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Looking for a wow factor? This sandcastle cake from Food Through the Pages is your answer. Move over Barbie, Little Mermaid is the new cake topping queen.
- We’re inspired by Trissalicious’ beautiful recreation of French Laundry’s salmon tartare cornets. For a night you truly want to challenge your culinary skills, try these delicate treats.
- Cupcakes just got a summer make over with these coffee ice cream cupcakes from How Sweet Eats. Store in the freezer to enjoy them throughout the week (if they’ll last that long).
- Combine puff pastry, Parmesan, poppy seeds and a dash of cayenne to make Treats easy and delicious cheese straws. They’re the perfect appetizer for your summer cocktail parties.
- Cool off with A Thought For Food’s refreshing rhubarb and strawberry limeade. And while you’re at it, top it off with some Prosecco for even more fun.
Kelsey's Sesame-Ginger Salmon en Papillote
Like everyone in January, I’m trying to eat just a little bit healthier. (Literally everyone — people were fighting over the last bag of spinach at the my grocery store yesterday.) But as a food lover, that doesn’t mean I want to go bland, so I was excited to try Kelsey’s Asian-inspired, pouch-steamed salmon with ginger, peppers and baby bok choy. Here’s how to make it, plus tips on cooking en papillote.
Continue Reading Cooking the Channel: Kelsey’s Steamed Salmon Pouches
Catching a King Salmon in Juneau, Alaska
Ocean to Table!
Okay, so that’s a slight exaggeration. This 16-pound King salmon went from the Juneau, Alaska ocean, to fishing boat, to packaging company, to FedEx and ended up arriving at my New Jersey apartment two weeks after I caught it, filleted and frozen in perfectly-portioned packets. But, “ocean to table” or not, this was an amazing way to get salmon and the highlight of my recent Alaskan vacation.
Continue Reading Ocean to Table: Alaskan Salmon