Grab your picnic basket and cabbage of choice — it’s slaw season! Nothing is better than a refreshing salad on a summer day. Make an unbeetable slaw with roasted cumin seeds and cilantro dressing (picture above) or fire up the grill for slaw with a smoky kick.
Check out four more picnic picks below, which are just a handful of our favorite summer side dishes.
Continue Reading 5 Ways to Make Your Picnic Slawsome
Meatless Monday is a global movement, a way of life. It’s not a campaign to turn everyone in the world vegetarian or vegan; in fact, many involved are meat-lovers. Eating less meat has been proven to reduce the risk of disease, curb obesity and has important environmental impacts, too. Will you join us in giving up meat, just for one day a week?
For tonight’s dinner, don’t fuss over a fancy entree, stick to sides instead– they’re usually everyone’s favorite anyway. From orzo salad and coleslaw to grilled corn and insalata caprese, there are plenty of fun summer recipes to mix and match. A plateful of potato and mac salad may be overkill, so keep it healthy with at least one veggie-focused dish.
Michael Symon’s Greek feta and cucumber salad goes with just about everything. Crisp, tangy and refreshing, this 10-minute side will have you be coming back for more many times this summer. Something starchy like potato or mac salad would pair nicely. If you’re a pizza lover, I strongly suggest Chuck’s tomato cheese tart — it’s perfect for this time of year and the combination of tomatoes, dijon and swiss makes it sweet, spicy and creamy all at once.
What are your favorite sides?
Greek Feta and Cucumber Salad
Continue Reading Meatless Monday: Dinner of Sides
Homemade Cinnamon Toast Crunch by Half Baked Harvest
5 Hot Links We’re Loving
- Homemade cinnamon toast crunch, healthified? Obviously this recipe by Half Baked Harvest is a must-try.
- Cookies and cream ice cream shouldn’t be limited to the chocolate wafer exclusively. Thanks to Love and Olive Oil’s chocolate chip cookies and cream ice cream, we can’t wait to start experimenting (don’t worry Oreos, we still love you).
- For a light, refreshing side, this cucumber feta salad by Cooks Joy fits the bill.
- Bake at 350 shows you how to make downright tasty ice cream with two ingredients and without the fancy machine.
- Beat the heat and stay hydrated. A Cup of Jo’s blackberry sage, mixed citrus, and ginger mint flavored-waters sound much better than your run-of-the-mill tap, wouldn’t you say?
When going to a cookout, it’s tempting to bring chips and dip. But the truth is, fruit- and veggie-based side dishes are always welcome at a summer cookout to balance out meat overload. Here are some easy, crowd-friendly recipe ideas.