It’s more than just alliteration; it’s a statement, a proclamation that Thursdays are when the weekend should really start. Kicking it off right is the key, and what better way than with a cocktail that not only takes the edge off, but tastes good too. A hard thing to disagree with, we know. Drink up, get down and go to sleep happy.
Some drinks are just meant to be slowly sipped on a warm summer day, and since Memorial Day is unofficially the calendar kick-off for summer, start your extra-long weekend with this classic, cooling Mint Julep. With smooth bourbon finding its herbaceous counterpoint in the soft sweetness of fresh mint, it makes for a refreshing addition to summer’s first backyard cookout.
Mint-infused simple syrup is combined with Southern whiskey, and the mixture is frozen until it has a slushy consistency. When ready to serve, rim each glass with sugar for a frosted appearance and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Sip a chilled glass of this summertime tipple at this weekend’s Memorial Day ‘cue.
Bottoms up, folks!
Continue Reading Memorial Day Mint Julep
This weekend is St. Patrick’s Day, so pour yourself a pint, adorn yourself in green and get lucky! Ahem, I mean … celebrate the “spirit” of the Emerald Isle! Put down your green beer and awaken your inner pub keeper by mixing up a cocktail worthy of a leprechaun’s approval.
Our nod to St. Patrick is a Celtic-inspired libation made with Irish whiskey, some smooth Irish cream and a touch of crème de menthe. Top with mint chocolate candy shavings for a sweet finish. With the luck of the Irish, you’ll have yourself a rich, luscious sipping cocktail this St. Paddy’s Day.
You can also partake in the festivities by polishing up on your Irish brogue and mixing a few beer-based cocktails.
Bottoms up, lads!
Continue Reading Thirsty Thursday: Luck of the Irish Whiskey Cocktail
Today the wild, wooly world of alcohol brings us both a unique branding and a unique flavor. Get your aspirin at the ready and continue reading.
Continue Reading Today in Spirits: Rolling Stones Whiskey and Wasabi-Flavored Vodka
Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie with Hot Fudge Sauce
5 Hot Links We’re Loving:
- Happy Pi Day! It’s okay if you don’t like math, we think banana cream pie is a fine way to celebrate. — Annie’s Eats
- Boozy Foods: This St. Patrick’s Day, Irish Whiskey Butter may just be the decadent twist your soda bread needs. – Brown Eyed Baker
- Craving: Steak and mashed potatoes whipped with goat cheese. Those “meat and potato” types must be onto something. –Food52
- Not in the mood for boiled cabbage? Braise it, and throw in a little chorizo while you’re at it. — Pork, Knife, and Spoon
- In between seasons: Everyone is anxious for spring, but show some last bits of love for winter produce while awaiting the arrival of rhubarb and asparagus. — Not Without Salt
Discover more twists on St. Patrick's Day classics.
Need more St. Patrick’s Day inspiration? Check out our very best Irish Cooking recipes and menus.
This cake is garnished with bourbon "Happy Balls."
From little balls of bourbon candy to big bottles of whiskey, Aida gets a sip of alcohol-infused artisanal foods tonight on FoodCrafters.
Continue Reading Aida Gets Cooking with Booze