You and yogurt have had a long-standing healthy relationship. You know that it’s better for you than a bagel at breakfast, but sometimes it’s just so boring that you hit a wall and banish this practical, nutrient-rich breakfast from your life. You go wild, eating egg sandwiches from bodegas and pancakes from diners, which just leave you feeling ashamed and bloated. This is when yogurt starts looking really good again, all healthy and loaded with nutrients like potassium and probiotics that aid in digestion and strengthen your immune system. So you decide to give it another go with yogurt, and you say this time will be different. You just have to give yogurt the attention it deserves, take it out for lunch or dinner, and even dessert sometimes. Next thing you know, you’ll be showing off your yogurt at parties and get-togethers.
What you might not have realized is that your old standby, yogurt, has a slightly sour taste that lends itself beautifully to both sweet (like berries and fruit) and savory (garlic, lemons, cucumber) pairings, making it a real jack-of-all-trades and not just something to fill the void before lunch. Get funky with fermented milk using these 25 ideas:
- Get to know yogurt on an intimate level and make your own Fresh Yogurt.
- Yogurt not your thing? Take that yogurt, strain it and you end up with Yogurt Cheese, a healthy swap-out for cream cheese.
- Whoever told you that creamy dressings were bad for you never tried Alton Brown’s Thousand Island Dressing made with yogurt and tomato sauce instead of mayo and ketchup.
- Strain the yogurt overnight for Chuck Hughes’ Steamed Carrot Cake with Honey Yogurt Frosting to reach the consistency of frosting. Don’t have any cheesecloth on hand? Use a paper coffee filter instead.
- Nadia G. calls for thick yogurt in her Frozen Yogurt Coconut Pops (pictured above). Use the same method from above to achieve the correct consistency.